Movie Monday: Volume 1 Issue 6: The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1



Starring: Jennifer Lawrence | Liam Hemsworth | Woody Harrelson | Donald Sutherland | Julianne Moore | Phillip Seymour Hoffman | Josh Hutcherson
Rated: PG-13     Released: November 21, 2014

Katniss Everdeen is in District 13 after she shatters the games forever. Under the leadership of President Coin and the advice of her trusted friends, Katniss spreads her wings as she fights to save Peeta and a nation moved by her courage.

It took me a while to get around to watching Mockingjay Part one. Not because I didn’t like the series or because I am sad that it is ending, but rather because I didn’t think this book should be spilt into two movies. The book didn’t have much to warrant two movies in my opinion. I felt that Catching Fire would have been the better choice to have split, but then they don’t ask me for my input. Damn Hollywood.

Mockingjay Part One was in a word, boring. There was not a lot of action, there was nothing to root for. Plutarch Heavensbee went from a sly game master to a wimpy producer. It was as if he suffered a head injury during the destruction of the arena and became someone totally different.

In the book, Katniss spent a lot of time in the hospital/infirmary. In the film, not so much. In the book she spent some time training and in the movie, she was just ready to go. If they were just going to focus on her filming propos and declaring herself the Mockingjay, then why couldn’t they have spent forty five minutes on that and then got to the meat of the story and wrapped this up in one film? I know, more films make more money, but seriously, this was the WRONG book to split! Something I wish the Divergent/Insurgent/Allegiant production team would have taken notice of!

I wanted to see more of the brainwashed Peeta attacking Katniss and Johanna being all bitchtastic, but instead we got Effie bitching about her hair. Sigh.

I am giving this 2 ½ stars. I love the series, but I cannot get on board with this film. 


 I am looking forward to part two this November. I am aching for that action and the closure.

Look at this poster!!!!





Comments

Popular Posts