Movie Monday: Volume 1 Issue 5: Now You See Me

Now You See Me


Starring: Jesse Eisenberg | Mark Ruffalo | Woody Harrelson | Isla Fisher | Dave Franco | Morgan Freeman | Michael Caine
Rated: PG-13     Released: May 31, 2013

I like movies where you have to think a little. I like a little slight of hand and when the characters, be it good or bad, are smart. I thought this was going to be a little Ocean’s Eleven, but it wasn’t. This was considered a “crime, mystery, thriller”. I see the crime & mystery portion, but there was nothing thrilling or thriller about this movie.

I couldn’t decide if it was fast or slow.  I wish there would have been some buildup to them working as a group. The first “trick” you see with them as a group is robbing a Paris bank as part of a Las Vegas show. Initially when the line read “Las Vegas: One Year Later”, I believed they had been working together and got a Las Vegas show, not that it was a one night sort of thing at The MGM. And it looked to be sold out. So I was all like “how did they get a show and a sold out show at that?” Then I found out they had a backer, Michael Caine. I would have liked to know how it all happened in one year.

Mark Ruffalo was good as a disbelieving FBI agent who would rather investigate any case but this one. And since the “trick” involved robbing a Paris bank, of course they bring in a blonde Interpol agent.

Morgan Freeman played a former magician, turned “mythbuster” and liked to tease Ruffalo’s FBI agent which set up showing how the magic of the Four Horsemen worked.

There were a couple of interesting twists, Tessler’s account being drained to reimburse the people of New Orleans. The death of Jack Wilder kind of surprised me. I expected them to come back and say that nobody was in the car and I thought we would get a “how he walked away” explanation.

Of course I figured there had to be an insider and I really thought it was going to be the Interpol lady. I figured her to be the daughter of the Magician Shrike that was never found after going in the river in a safe. I was definitely tricked!

Overall it was a decent movie. Nothing that I am going to rush to see again. And to be honest I was surprised to see there is a second movie that is already in post-production! That is definitely some magic.  I will be adding it to my watch list once it is released.

I’m going to give this movie 3 out of 5 stars because it did entertain me with the magic tricks, there was some action that I enjoyed and the characters were smart.




Comments

Popular Posts