Movie Monday: Volume 1 Issue 4: The Man from U.N.C.L.E.





Starring: Henry Cavill | Armie Hammer | Alicia Vikander | Hugh Grant
Rated: PG-13     Released: August 14, 2015

I didn’t read any reviews of The Man from U.N.C.L.E. so I didn’t realize that it was not an updated, current day movie, but rather set during the 1960’s. It was a bit of a surprise. Also a surprise, how slow this movie was. I expected a lot of action and laughs. There was intermittent action and some very subtle, sneeze & you miss it humor, but nothing like I felt was promised from all the hype.

The story involves criminal turned CIA agent Napoleon Solo (Cavill) teaming up with KGB power house, Illya Kuryakin (Hammer) to stop a criminal organization from producing multiple nuclear warheads. Joining the mission is Gabby Teller, a German mechanic whose father is the scientist working on the warheads.

It was hard to wrap my head around Hammer being Russian. At times I felt like they had a mastermind syncing up a Russian voiceover. On more than several occasions, I kept seeing Cavill as Danny Zuko. I guess the latter could be partially explained by the era this was set in (Grease was also set in the 1960s).

I have to say that as a girl, I loved the fashion! That 1960s mod style was so fab! I hope to see more of Alicia Vikander. She was phenomenal!

The ending of the movie definitely left the door wide open for sequels. This could easily become another Mission Impossible type franchise. They do need to up the action though to be successful.

I am giving this movie 3 out of 5 stars. 



Comments

Popular Posts