Pages

Friday, August 14, 2015

Finished Friday: Volume 1 Issue 2: Fanciful Color

I had hoped to get more done this week, well I hope to get more done every week, but... It was once again very hot this week, even with the occasional ten minute rain storm, it just leaves it very muggy and my studio's only window is south facing, so by the time I get home from the 9 to 5, it is like trying to work in a sauna!  But I did steal away this weekend to get a card done and then I spent some time in my cool bedroom coloring. I also have a couple of dishcloths I finished last month!

COLOR PAGES

Let's start with the first one I finished...

Something Fishy


I pulled this from my image library, aka computer folder. I knew I wanted to use yellows and oranges on the fish and blues and greens for the water. I used my ever faithful Sharpie Ultra Fine Tip markers for this piece.  It took a little over three hours of pretty consistent coloring. I am not sure what will happen with this. It may be cut down for a card front or just go in my book!

GeoQuilt


I just finished this! I started it last night (see my instagram for the before picture). I used the Bic Mark It markers and then used a fatter Sharpie black marker for the heavy lines. It is reminiscent of a quilt now that I look at it. I am thinking about taking this one and cutting it into bookmarks. I have wanted to do that for a long time and I think this might be my "test" subject. If you see the before picture you will see that the heavy black borders were originally filled with circles. I didn't like the odd shapes and the spaces in between. I tried a few different color combinations before I decided I would rather have a more streamlined look.

Fancy Face


I have had this in my image library for a while and have been wanting to color it for so long. I finally did it and Oh. My. Color! It was so much fun and so rewarding! I love her and will definitely be coloring her again. I knew I wanted a jewel tone for her, the rich, bright colors are just so striking and Mardi Gras-ish. The areas are a little on the small side so I turned to my trusty Sharpie Ultra Fines again! Love them!


She will definitely be a card front one day. Maybe not this exact one (a little too big) and she will have some glitter and gems for sure!


CARD MAKING

I needed a card for my brother-in-law's birthday and I have had the What a Guy stamp set for a while just waiting for the right time. I actually bought the set with him in mind.  I brainstormed for a long time and then I came upon an alcohol inked background I had done a few months ago, but it was missing something...and then I knew what it was, a sunsetty area. So I pulled out my inks and used Butterscotch, added some directly on the card and some blending solution and then the rest went like this...


I used Tim Holtz' On The Edge Tree die and some white card stock, then went to work with some Distress Inks in the green range (Forest Moss, Mowed Lawn, Shabby Shutters, Peeled paint), added some water and then...magically the trees were beautiful. I had used some of the browns on the lower edge of the tree line for the dirt, land, but then I realized they were going up higher and the bear would be walking along, so I blended in some green onto the lower edge of the card and then covered it with some green and brown twine to disguise the line between the two pieces of cardstock. I colored some natural twine with a mix of the green Distress Inks and some water. It is a messy endeavor but so worth it! I do it a lot when I need some custom colored twine or ribbon!

I used the brown line of Distress Inks for the bear, then fussy cut him out and enhanced his eye with a white gel pen. I put him on foam adhesives and that cool shadow is natural, depending on the angle. I had a piece of brown ATC cardstock and stamped the sentiment in Walnut Stain and after decided I wanted to add some embossing (what is a card without embossing?). I used an embossing pen (first time using it), added some clear embossing powder, brushed off the powder in areas I didn't want it, heat set it and voila! (the embossed portion is No One by the way). I went to my trusty charm stash and found the only charm that would work, the cow skull (*not to self, need more charms). I love adding the charm details.


For the inside, I used the Year Round Sentiments stamp set for Happy Birthday and another image from What a Guy for the little detail. I used some more Distress Inks, green for the fish, and some Tumbled Glass for the water. I then went over the water lines & dragonfly with a Tumbled Glass Distress Marker to enhance it.


Of course I had to make a matching envelope! I used some Recollections paper (random pad I picked up on sale a couple years ago). I was able to use the mountain and elk images from What a Guy to add an extra touch.

I was then asked to create an internal envelope for the gift. And with some leftovers and a small sticker, I created this...


This card turned out pretty much like I had imagined it. Maybe even more than I imagined. I just love it and I think my brother-in-law will too!

Last month I dabbled a bit with some ATC making (Artist Trading Cards) using some kits I got from Your ATC Store.


First was an Alice in Wonderland Kit. I took the Mad Hatter, some of the embellishments and came up with this. I won't lie, I had no clue what I was going to do because I have never read nor seen Alice in Wonderland. I know a few basics.

Suited for Success is my favorite and it is double sided

 


I used some extra bits on this. First, I used the Tim Holtz Sewing Room die set for the spool & dress form. I used a random paper flower & inked the petals a bit to tone down the brightness. I added a scissor charm I have had for years, some twine sample and kit embellishments for the "dress" side. On the flip side, I used the Tim Holtz Measure Tape Stencil with some homemade embossing paste. After that dried, I inked it and bit. Then added some Tim Holtz Ruler Ribbon on top of some pattern piece pages from the kit with a a few more embellishments. I stamped a spool stamp in some tonal brown distress ink and then found the suited for success from my Magnetic Poetry collection and glued that down.

Hands down my best ATC yet!

And then...

YARNY CREATIONS

I finally have a couple of yarny finished objects to share.

First up


The Bicolor Tweed Dishcloth from the Knit Picks free dishcloth patterns. I am trying to use my stash of cotton so I grabbed some partial skeins and loved the green combo. The pattern is so easy to remember and fun to knit. As always, I used my go to US 8 needles.

I could not wait to try this next one...


The Sherbet Tunisian Crochet dishcloth (ignore the curling, I have not blocked it). I had never tried Tunisian crochet before and oh do I enjoy it. It is fun! Something to break up the monotony of single crochet!  I think variegated yarn is so perfect for these types of cloths. The colors pool in so many different ways and I love the bar accents. This is just the simple stitch. Fun, fast and addictive!

And there you have it for this week. I hope you enjoyed. Leave me a comment and any questions and I will respond as soon as I see them hit my email.

Until next week: Stay Cool, Stay Happy

No comments: