Pages

Friday, August 01, 2014

Tell Me the Meaning of Love

What Does Love Mean to You?

The first thing I did when getting ready to write this was to Google "love". Don't worry I am not going to give you the Webster's definition. That is sort of cheating.  The question isn't what is the definition or love, but rather what does it mean to me. When I think about it, I think how can there be a definition of love? Isn't it a subjective feeling? Doesn't it mean something different to each person and each situation?

There are a list of words that come to mind when I think of love:

  • Comfort
  • Happiness
  • Laughter
  • Honesty
  • Understanding
  • Caring
  • Friend
  • Loyal
These are the feeling of love for me. The truest form. If I love someone and they love me, we are comfortable around each other. It doesn't matter if we are wearing a $5.00 pair of sweatpants or a $5,000 gown. By the way, I have never nor do I ever plan on wearing a $5,000 gown. We are happy with each other most of the time (let's face it there is always a point where we love nothing more than being alone for a few minutes!). We love to laugh at each other and with each other. The people I love, I am honest with and they are honest with me. We have an understanding. An unwritten, unspoken code, language, motto. We care about each other and we care about what each other cares about. We are friends in every sense of the word. And we are loyal. We have each other's back.

I have been thinking a lot about how love is definitely subjective and the example that is so prominent is the good old horrible tale, Fifty Shades of Grey. With the movie in production & the first teaser trailer out, there is a lot of talk about how people can't wait to see this movie. I won't lie, I am one of those people, but for far different reasons I think. I read in one of of my pop culture magazines that the director is making a "love story". I read all three books and I for the life of me cannot see how any part of it involves love in the definition I hold. For me, the book was about power and control. One person controlling every aspect of another person. Control is not synonymous with love in my dictionary. Perhaps to others it is, thus the subjectiveness of the term love. 

Overall I think love is a feeling that cannot be accurately described. And that is not a bad thing. That just means that it is beyond anything that is tangible, describable. It is every good feeling and more wrapped into one thing, person, event. It is pure happiness, unmeasurable. 


Did you know you can find me on social media? You can.

Follow me here:

Twitter: @LdyPngn
Instagram: ldypngn
Facebook: Lady Penguin

No comments: