Weekly Roundup May 29 – June 4, 2013



Well the last week has sort of sucked if you are a Penguins fan. After eight days off, that is 8 days off, the Penguins have come back to the playoffs looking like a team of blind monkeys. No offense to monkeys.

I’m finding it hard to believe that a team can be so great in the regular season, okay to get through the first round of playoffs, pretty exceptional during round two, and then completely suck ass in the conference finals. Not impossible to believe, because it is happening, but still hard.

I am not sure where my arrow lies on the hope meter. I know that a team can come back from being two games down and win, I just don’t know if the team I saw last night is hungry enough to do it.

May is over. Like really over. I didn’t get much done. Nothing near what I had thought was reasonable. That is always disappointing for me and leaves me with little hope and motivation for the next month. I am going to try though.

Reading
I only managed two books this month; 12th of Never by Maxine Paetro with a special cover appearance by James Patterson and Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn.  Something left me not wanting to read after Sharp Objects. I think Gillian Flynn ruins reading for me. I had the same problem after I read Gone Girl.

I had started to read Dark Places back in April and then just could not get through it in time so I put a hold on it again and this past Saturday decided to pick up where I left off. Yesterday I searched out spoilers because I just cannot read it. I do not understand how/why people think Gillian Flynn is a good author. Her books seem so disjointed and things do not flow well. I like the thought of the dark and twisty concepts, I just think her execution is poor. And from reading the Dark Places spoilers, it looks like I dodged a major time suck bullet.

Television & Movies
I am not much of a movie watcher. It is hard for me to sit still and concentrate long enough to get through a movie. If I do, it happens quite by accident. A few weeks ago I stumbled upon the movie, the old movie, 13 Going On 30 starring Jennifer Garner & Mark Ruffalo. It is from 2004. It is the only full length movie I have watched this year. Last week I did turn on Magic Mike. Surprisingly I made it through 20 minutes before my brain needed life support. I can only imagine I had this on my to see list from last year because I was sick of watching the Flyers. There is no other acceptable explanation.

As you know, if you read my T.V. Talk Tuesday post, I have managed to watch all of the season finales, except for Elementary, but that is because I am still trying to watch Elementary episodes dating back to February. All in good time. I am also caught up on most of the new summer shows that have started. I sat down on Sunday night to watch The Killing, but in the year long absence, I forgot that it is a “must watch” show and not something you can follow while also watching twitter. Oops.

There are two new shows I am most looking forward to this summer. First is King & Maxwell on TNT. I am not a big Rebecca Romijn fan, but I do love Jon Tenney. I felt he was seriously underused in The Closer and and happy that TNT has found an outlet for him.

Second I am extremely interested in Crossing Lines airing on NBC later in the month. A lot of unknown actors, but two well known; William Fichtner & Donald Sutherland.  At first glance it looks like a legitimate, more serious Covert Affairs.

For what it’s worth I do watch Covert Affairs, I am just not on board with the legitimacy of it or Piper Perabo.

Knitting – What is that again?

So I barely picked up the needles in May. I looked at hundreds of projects and patterns and even started two projects. I nearly cried with each row I knit. I just hated every minute of it. I don’t know if it was because I knew how long and boring they are going to be or if my knitting switch is broken.

I knit a 8 rows on Sunday and 8 last night and it was all I could do to just get through them. Perhaps I have too many projects going and feel guilty about not finishing or even working on any of them. I might need to just pick one project and finish it to feel better and get back on track. The only problem is what project do I pick? They are all in the beginning stages or at best in the middle and are all lengthy for a part-time knitter. I guess I should just do the one that needs to be done first…more to come.



Comments

I wonder if the Pens decided that since they made it to June they expected a cup to be handed to them. I think this is the bitterness of the Bruins sweep talking but we are so much better than that. I am just disappointed.

Popular Posts