Pages

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Weekly Roundup: May 8 – 14, 2013




Getting Older
My nephew turned 11 on the 8th. I seriously cannot comprehend how that has happened. I still expect the little boy who wanted me to help him find Lego pieces. But now he is like a young man who is into lacrosse and reading and music other than The Wiggles.

And what is worse is that in a couple of weeks I will be reporting on his brother getting older as well!

Cute Overload
This happens a lot.



 That is my dear sweet Cooper and his security friend Sabrina. Usually he pulls her out when he needs some sense of security. This was on Saturday as I was putting away groceries.

And this happens a lot as well…


 This is Elliott getting ready for bed. He doesn’t like when the light is on, so he puts his head where he can to block the light.

I say they do these things a lot which is true, but usually by the time I get the camera they have followed me around the house in hopes that I am getting them food!

Like my nephew, I can’t believe my boys are closing in on 8 years old!

Round One Goes To…
The Pittsburgh Penguins pulled out two wins last week to claim the first round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs against the New York Islanders.

They never fail to amaze me in both good and bad ways. They came out strong in game one, claiming a 5-0 victory. Game two was a scorefest, with the Isles getting the win. Game three had some controversy, if you listen to Mike Millbury & Jeremy Roenick, which you shouldn’t. The Pens picked up a big OT win. Then in game four they were back to flip floppy play with another scoring festival. The Isles claimed a 6-4 win. Game five was back in Pittsburgh and a goalie change was in order. Tomas Vokoun had a strong showing, shutting out the Islanders. He was back for game six and held strong until we got he win in OT. So the Pens in six! Whew!

Round two began last night and the Penguins stood tall again in front of Vokoun and came away with a BIG win over the Ottawa Senators. This round has much drama behind it and is the matchup I did not want!

Unseasonable
That would be our weather. May is generally one of our rain months, but so far it has been sunny, dry and warm. Oh and really windy.
On Monday afternoon three fires broke out all within 60 miles of our valley town. By 9:00 p.m. we were contemplating closing our windows because the smoke was chokingly strong. One fire was small and claimed a couple of houses. The other two are forest/wild fires that are contained, but continue to burn. Houses have been lost and families evacuated. I pray for rain to start falling soon. It is way too early for fire season.

Back to School
Not really. Although there are times when I would love to, it is just too hard to work all day and then try to study. But that does not mean that I am not going to expand my knowledge. I am preparing to begin working on some software certification studies in the very near future. Possibly at the end of the week. I was given the blessing of my company’s CEO to use some downtime to pursue this and I intend to take full advantage.

Changes
I am PDSAing a little schedule of sorts here on the blog. If you don’t know what PDSA is, it stands for Plan, Do, Study, Act. It is a holdover from my days working in medical offices and is a method of putting new plans/ideas into action, but planning, doing it, studying the results and then acting upon it (either yay or nay).
I am also trying to come up with a new design plan. I have a few ideas, but I need to sit down and plan a few things out. I hope to have it complete by the end of summer, but it is low on the totem pole as blogging is not my money maker.

And that is my weekly roundup. I do want to give a big shoutout Happy Birthday to my big sister. She turns another year better tomorrow. I am not ashamed to say that I have the best sister and mother in the whole world. Sorry to all, but it is true, they are the best!


No comments: