The One with A Mascot Project


From Eskimimi Makes:


Day Two (Tuesday April 23rd): A Mascot Project.
Your task today is to either think of or research a project that embodies that house/animal. It could be a knitting or crochet pattern – either of the animal itself or something that makes you think of the qualities of that house. Alternatively it could be a type or colour of yarn, or a single button. Whatever you choose, decide upon a project and blog about how and why it relates to your house/creature. You do not have to make this project! It is simply an exercise in blogging about how you come to decide upon what projects to make. Try and blog about the journey which inspiration and investigating patterns, yarns, stitches, (etc) can often guide you through. You may wish to make a collage or 'mood board' to present several ideas, or even sketch out your own design.


If you recall from yesterday, I took up residence in the House of Manatee. So I have spent the day thinking of comforting, soft, cuddly items for today's "assignment". I am not much of an artist so I did not attempt to draw anything, but my imagination ran wild for a while.

I posted that I really thought I should be in the House of ManaBEE and I considered knitting a black and yellow striped manatee to be my mascot. Then I quickly changed my mind when I realized I would have to knit it on size one needles in the round. No thanks. That doesn't sound too comfortable to me.

I started thinking about all of my works in progress. You know those projects I show once or twice and are never seen or heard of again. Yeah, those. I decided that perhaps I would spend my summer working on a couple of them and throw in a few new ones to mix it up a bit.

First I plan on knitting the Grow Old with Me sweater in size 18 months for my little nephew Ryker's first birthday in September. I think 18 months will get him through winter. Here is the yarn for that.

It's Berroco Vintage. I just couldn't quite bring myself to purchasing the Flyers orange for the stripe, so I chose something a little closer to Penguin's Vegas Gold. Hey, if Auntie doesn't influence him, his father will make sure he is a Flyer's fan.

That definitely fits the comfort, cuddly elements of the House of Manatee.

Also hitting those elements is the Brrr Bear that I have been working on since October.

Unfortunately I don't have a photo of it's blob like form. And that is mainly because I forgot where I put it. (and I am trying to get this done while watching the game)

I have been on something of a blanket craze lately. I see blankets and immediately think, "I want to make one of those". I tend to forget how long it takes to make a blanket. So I look for ones with interest, pieces, ease. And I still forget how freaking long they take to knit. But...it doesn't stop me from starting. I started making garter squares...


The little ones go quickly, but you have to make 800 bajillion. The larger ones take longer but you only need 1 trillion. Okay I exaggerated, you only need 28 or so of the larger ones. I have a feeling I am going to go with the larger squares. They are super easy a series of KFB & K2TOG interspersed with regular old K.

I also have a super secret project that I cannot speak of.

More towards the Bee part of the Manabee is this little project I started on Sunday...

I am attempting to take this, ball of Meh

and turning it into...


Something cute and girly. This is trying to become the Fiesta Frock. I have my doubts that it will see the light of day. There are 204 stitches. Each round is 204 stitches. I have knit 12 rounds or 2,448 stitches. Actually I have knit 2,244 stitches and purled 204. It's Tuesday. I'm not even close to being 10% done. You see my dilemma with the beedome right? Flitting off to another project seems VERY likely.

Maybe I should have just planned on knitting the yellow & black manatee with feelers.

So what are you working on as your mascot project? Oh and if you have any fabulous blanket patterns, let me know, I would love to add them to my knitting brain. You know, the one that can do everything!


Comments

Popular Posts