Pages

Friday, March 01, 2013

Friday Favorites: Volume 1 Issue 8


Welcome to March! I love starting the month with a clean slate. For my first March Friday Favorites post, I am looking at some of my favorite "non-traditional" art. So many things are art, but it use to be that you thought about paintings as art or photography. And they were usually large pieces on canvases or sculptures chiseled out of clay or stone.

I have some photographs that I love and perhaps one day will share. We have some lovely paintings and numerous treasured figurines and such. But today I wanted to focus on some of my more "unusual" pieces from different materials.

Onto the art shall we?
I have to start with my two "feature" pieces in the collage photo

First is this penguin that was drawn by my youngest nephew and then embroidered & quilted by my sister. They are framed in floating frames and hang opposite my bed. I recently redid my bedroom in yellow and gray and I adore the fabrics she chose. But I must say I adore the "drawing" the most.


My oldest nephew got in on the action too (I am not sure they had a choice...) and drew this bird. I am not sure what kind of bird it is, but I know it is some kind and he can name it in an instant. He is really into birds and does an excellent job at drawing them and naming them.

When I was younger drew a "Welcome Friends" sign that is awful, but still hangs in the kitchen. I always thought my mom was trying to spare my feelings by hanging it. Once I became an auntie and received my first artwork from the boys I knew how special these items are. I still wish that welcome friends picture met the shredder, but I get it.


In 2011, we went to a bazaar over the Thanksgiving weekend and there was a pottery booth that had some amazing pieces. The entire family took part in the art and the daughter and sculpted these monsters. I purchased one for a Monster Swap I was in and received this one as a gift. He did lose part of his tentacle, but he is duel sided or two-faced. I love the grumpy look and it matches my mood more times than not.

A few years ago, I decided that I wanted some more "zen" artwork and sought out some Buddha posters that I framed. We were browsing a local florist/gift shop and I found this stone painting of a serene blue Buddha and knew I had to have it. I have moved on from the Buddha artwork in my living room, but this remains. It is so peaceful and just makes me feel calm and centered.

I've had this piece for a while now and I just love it. My sister had gifted my mom with a leaf and it is just the coolest thing. Mom searched out the artist and bought a few leaves for gifts. I find them super cool with just a touch of creepiness. 


And finally...


I have two tattoos and I would have shown both if I didn't need a good leg shaving to feature the other one. Sorry it is kind of fuzzy, it is hard to take a picture upside down. And excuse how horribly old my feet look. I am going with the fact that I was fresh out of the shower and had contorted my foot at a weird angle.

I've had this tattoo for almost six years I believe. Five or six, but I think six. I was looking for another tattoo and knew I wanted it on my foot (if only I had known the amount of pain involved in that location decision). I was thinking of a dragonfly, but then I saw this flourish dragon head and knew that it was meant to be. Yes, it hurt. Tattoos always hurt, it is a needle embedding ink into your skin, it hurts. The "pain" comes into play with your level of tolerance. I had an extremely high tolerance with my first tattoo. It is big and it is on my inner calf. There is fat and muscle and it isn't that bad. On your foot there is nothing but a thin layer of skin and some bone and it hurts. If you want something bad enough...

I love all my art, but these are some of my fun, special and unusual pieces.

What kind of art do you have around your house? Do you collect one type or are you an eclectic collector? 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice selection of art. The wallangings were all from the boys. They told me what they wanted to do and I just followed directions. They drew the patterns, chose the embroidery floss colors and then helped in fabric selection.