Pages

Friday, February 22, 2013

Friday Favorites: Volume 1 Issue 7

I am wrapping up my knitting themed Friday Favorites today with my favorite knitting accessories.


Every knitter has their little box or bag of accessories. I didn't include scissors because I don't really have a favorite pair, whatever works well and fits in my bag is fine with me.

First up is my most favorite row counter...


I lovingly refer to these as the frog counters. They are in fact the Clover Mini Kacha-Kacha. What I love about this particular row counter is the locking mechanism. I can be sure the my stitch count won't get upped if things are banging around in my bag.

Next are my favorite darning needles...


I love my Chibi. The bent tip ones are my favorite. And I love the tube for keeping all things together. I even have my cable wrench in there.

The other needles in the photo are awesome. I loved them so much and used them so much that the "perfect" sized one broke. I am heartbroken and just can't throw it away. They were a gift from my sister and I have not been able to find them anywhere local. And by local I mean 80-120 miles away! They are perfect for those itty bitty ends you can't get to with a regular eye needle.

Next is just a regular old tape measure...


...except mine is a frog!!!!!!!! I think I got this last year for my birthday from my sister. If not last year, the year before. I love the retractable ones for the portability and organization. And that they are starting to come in such fun and cute characters.

The next item is sort of a mish mash...


A handy selection of stitch markers. For split ring markers, I prefer the locking ones over the pastel split rings that you find in a lot of craft stores. For marking the beginning or rounds and increases/decreases I have a lovely selection of the little bendy/rubbery markers. I have more of the larger size than the smaller simply because those smaller ones fall on the floor and I have a special hoover named Cooper than finds them. And yes, another cable wrench. The little case is from the fishing department at WalMart.

A knitter always needs a needle gauge...


And my favorite is from Knit Picks. I don't use the magnifier and rarely use the ruler portion, but I am always checking my needle size. Especially because I almost exclusively use KP needles and they are not "branded" with the size. At $2.99 it is a steal!

Finally we have my super special gauge


This is from KaratStix. I have had it for a few years now and I love it. I just lay my knitting flat, line it up with this 1" gauge and in a few seconds I know how many stitches/rows to the inch I have. Sure I could do it with my needle gauge, but that doesn't have penguins on it and there is no turning necessary.

You may have noticed over the last few weeks that my sister enables supplies me with a lot of knitting stuff. I was asked if I loan her out and let me just say that if I did, you could not afford the prices. She is invaluable. I am so lucky and spoiled to have a big sister like her. If I get my way and tie her down when she visits next, we will be setting up her blog! We've only been trying to do it for a few years now!

What are your favorite accessories? Am I missing something vital? Hit the comments and let me know.

Meanwhile, I am trying to come up with some new content and thinking about my next favorites. If you have something in mind....let me know. I am always open to new ideas!

No comments: