Pages

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Bookmarks: Rough Country by John Sandford


I am not entirely sure how one goes about reviewing a book without giving everything away. But, gosh darn-it, I am going to try.

Rough Country by John Sandford

Rough Country is the third book in the Virgil Flowers series by mystery/thriller author John Sandford. I am an avid fan of Sandford’s work having read all of the Lucas Davenport Prey series. I look forward to each and every book I read of is.

Rough Country was no exception.

When a woman is murdered at a small town northern Minnesota resort for women, the sheriff calls upon BCA (Bureau of Criminal Apprehension) Agent Virgil Flowers to help solve the case. Using his charm and looks, he settles in amongst a variety of women who had motive to kill a marketing magnate who also happened to be a lesbian with a  penchant for young women and perhaps even some men. Is the murder connected to the resort? A country singer looking to make it big? Her band? Or is it connected to the Twin Cities and the marketing firm?

Sandford has a way with description and mannerisms that make you feel like you have lived in Minnesota your entire life. I have never visited, but I feel that if you blindfolded me and dropped me off in a town or city, I would immediately recognize it.

One of the things I love most about this series is how he seamlessly reads in characters from the Prey series. There is a continuity amongst his novels that you can really connect with and appreciate.

Again, I don’t like to give too much away, so I sort of shy away from the story and talk more about the style and how hard or easy it was to get through the book. This book was very easy to get through. There are never really any lulls in Sandford’s books. There is always action and the dialogue is on par and not extraneous. You never feel like he is just trying to fill pages to get to a specific count. Everything matters and has a place.

I am giving this book 4.5 bookmarks out of 5. The story grabbed me from the beginning and kept me turning pages. It is a quick read at 261 Nook Color pages (no idea how that translates to print or other e-book platforms). The characters are well rounded with no anomalies. You feel how tired Virgil is, you feel like you are driving through Minnesota with him, and you are never bored.

Did you read Rough Country? Was it a hit for you? Hit the comments and let me know your thoughts.

And, as always, leave me some suggestions for books to check out. I am a fan of mystery, police books, but I am always open to some other genres. I do shy away from Westerns and historical/period pieces. I am, after all, a very modern sort of girl.

No comments: