Pages

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

What's On My Mind: Volume 1 Issue 1


Here's the deal. I hate feeling like a failure every time I miss a WiP Wednesday post. It is too much stress on me. Half the time I am scrambling to take pictures of something "new" or "progressed". Sometimes I find time to write during the day when I am not supposed to be, but I don't have photos, so I can't get my entry done. So I am foregoing WiP Wednesday. But, I am not going to leave all three of you hanging. I have this new fangled idea of What's On My Mind Wednesdays. Have I lost you yet? If not, keep reading, it doesn't get better.

My mind is full of extremely dumb and useless questions. The things I wonder about are quite astonishing really. Astonishing in that who would ever want to know that!?! For example, I wondered about the origin of the jock strap. Amazingly nobody in my circle knew. I had to do some research to fulfill my longing. By the way, it originated with cyclists.

I was checking my email at work this morning and there was some sort of spam-like email that I skimmed and for once it wasn't all crap. Don't ask me who sent it, because I deleted it after I got what I wanted. It asked the simple question...

Looking back, is there anything you once wanted that you are grateful you never got?

I thought it was interesting and I thought that perhaps I should take a minute to reflect on it.

I think of a lot of things I wanted and in retrospect, am very grateful that I didn’t get them.

For example, when I was working in health care there was speculation that I would become the COO and I really wanted that. I wanted the recognition. But when I think of what my life would be like if I had gotten that…well I am very glad I didn’t. I think I would have either lost my mind or spent a ton of time on the unemployment lines. I just don’t think I could have worked in that facility any longer than I already did.

I also wanted the executive assistant job at the hospital. But with all the turmoil they have been through, am very thankful I dodged that bullet.

I believe that things happened for a reason and it was all to lead me to where I am now. To a company that treats its staff like they matter. A place that is family. A place that is relaxed and flexible. Sure there are frustrating times and people, but that is everywhere. There are days, like yesterday, where I just want to stay in bed and do. But there has never been a day that I dreaded going to work because of the work or people. That is almost unheard of in most 9-5 jobs it seems. The thought of spending 8-10 hours in a place you loathe is horrible. I did it for a long time. I cried myself to sleep more times than not while working for some organizations. I commuted and cried 90% of the way home. I have never done that with this company. I have cried twice while with this company. Once was when I got the news about Ike Thomas. The other was a rather horrible incident that never should have happened. The job I had before this one? I cried every single day at lunch and when I got home. Every single day. That is not an exaggeration, that is fact. So, I am very grateful I didn’t get what I wanted, because in the end, I did.

See that is what is on my mind. I also found another little question today that I answered...

What makes you feel alive?

What makes me feel alive is music. I feel so energized, inspired, free when I am listening to music. Whether it is something soft like How Deep Is Your Love (Bee Gees) or something a bit harder like The Beautiful People (Marilyn Manson), I just feel so into it. It can instantly make me feel better, ready to take on a project, a day, even an hour. Confession time, but I love to dock my iPod, turn it up loud, jump in the shower and pretend like I am a lounge singer. I am making a vow to make time for music every day!

I am going to throw in a picture just because I know that is what a lot of blog readers are looking for...


Hahahah...gratuitous hockey picture*!  Brent Johnson right before he knocked Rick DiPietro into the 2012-2013 season. 

*I didn't have a new picture to show you anyway.

No comments: