T.V. Tuesday: Volume 2 Issue 2



Perception

Monday’s TNT

I admit that I didn’t watch this “live”, I watched it this weekend. I have to say though that I really enjoyed it. It was sort of a thinking man’s show. One of those where the intellect was top notch and made you think. You wondered, who’s real, who’s not. I loved Eric McCormack. And it does not hurt that he is easy on the eyes. That always makes things that much more fun. I always worry that I will miss something while I am knitting or on the internet when watching a show and this is a show I could see that happening with. But I didn’t miss anything. I love Lewicky (spelling is incorrect I am sure). And I was shocked by the end, with his “friend”. It was an interesting case with kind of a surprise ending. I look forward to this series, I hope a lot of people find it entertaining and it gets a pickup.

Rizzoli & Isles
Tuesdays, TNT

I really like this show. I do, but there are times where I could totally just stop watching. Last week’s episodes was one of those times. I hated in the previous week that they introduced Maura’s birth mother, but she didn’t know what everyone else knew, that Maura was her presumably dead daughter. They formed a friendship that carried over into the next episode. A friendship so close that Maura had Hope & Kaylin (sp?) over for dinner. Kaylin needs to learn some manners. I get she is a broody 18 year old girl who was uprooted from a life abroad, but seriously my mother would not have accepted that kind of behavior from us. The meat of the episode was not the murder of the investment banker with a fondness of masquerade sex, it was the Hope/Maura interaction.

Question that begs to be answered: Why would Maura have Jane hide the drawing of Hope in the bathroom? Did she not anticipate that her guests may need to freshen up? And really who hides stuff in the bathroom?

Well of course Kaylin saw the picture and figured it all out. But she kept it under wraps until the pivotal moment. A moment that came after Hope told Maura that Kaylin needs a kidney transplant. A moment after Maura ganked DNA from a fork that Kaylin used and determined she is a match and anonymously decided to donate a kidney.

Kaylin waited and when she found out there was a kidney match by an anonymous donor, her Oxford education kicked in and she deduced that Maura was a match and that they are half-sisters. She confronted her at her home which brought a frantic Hope running to find her. That is when and where Maura dropped the bomb, that she was Hope & Paddy’s presumed dead daughter. Hope did not take the news well, as it makes for increased drama and allows the story to continue. The episode ended with Maura enjoying a good cry on Jane’s proverbial shoulder and deciding that she should keep her kidney.

A little dud for me. I like the murder mystery. That is why I watch. If I wanted to watch a bunch of “life drama” I would watch General Hospital or Young & the Restless. Maybe. I want to get back to solving cases that have not been solved!

Dallas 2.0
Wednesdays, TNT

I continue to question why I watch this show. I don’t recall if I have mentioned that I think the acting is extremely sub-par, if I haven’t, it is, if I have, it still is. I want to like it. I want the actors to be different and better, but most of all I think I want to like it to reclaim some of my youth. I used to wait for Friday nights just for Dallas. Mostly for Bobby, but in the 80’s when shows were all about drama and not all about half naked people and sex, when acting was bad only we didn’t know it, this show was the best thing on television. Well at least since they cancelled T.J. Hooker. So why is it so hard to watch? The acting is still really bad, and Bobby is still on the show. Why? I blame the younger people. And I blame the writer’s for barely watching the original series. I am quite certain they didn’t because the week prior they had J.R. Ewing give power of attorney to his son John Ross. J.R. Ewing. Give away power of attorney. To his son. J.R. Ewing. That would have never happened in the original. NEVER. J.R. would have gotten his son to turn his power of attorney over the J.R. and then he would have royally screwed him.

And why is everything moving so fast? In the first episode, Bobby decided to sell the ranch to a conservatory to stop John Ross from drilling and in the second episode it was all done. By the third they were packing up the house and by the fourth they were unpacking. I realize there is a limited number of episodes, but my god space some of this shit out a little bit.

Good to know that they are still as predictable as ever though. Of course Rebecca is pregnant. You can’t have a prime time soap opera without a pregnant lady. I see it going a couple of ways. Her brother is not really her brother and is the father or Christopher is the father (provided he isn’t sterile, because they could totally go that route). If Christopher is the father, I suspect there will be a staircase and Elena & Rebecca will be arguing at the top and there will be a shoving match, which will end with Rebecca tumbling down. The next week she will have lost the baby and will be hell bent on revenge and Christopher will be crushed and will blame Elena. I’ve been to this rodeo before.

So You Think You Can Dance
Wednesdays, Fox

First let me tell you that I know absolutely nobody’s name. I don’t know the dancers and I don’t really care to. I don’t listen to their intros, I don’t watch rehearsal to find out what the dance is supposed to be about and I don’t listen to the judge’s comments. I watch the dance and that is it.

Now that we have dealt with the formalities. I loved a couple of dances on the Top 20 Performance.

First, the Paso was brilliant. I loved the music, the costuming and the dancing. It was good. Second, I liked Travis Wall’s contemporary and I never like Travis Wall. I found out later that the dance was “Titanic” based. Had I known that prior to watching it I would have hated it. I hate being manipulated. Third I liked the Kitty Cat Hip Hop even though I don’t like the 20’s girl.

Other things: I liked the group performance. I am assuming the slow dance was a waltz and I must say that I didn’t mind it. I didn’t care for the guy, but I liked the girl. I hated the Broadway piece. Fake smiles, spastic moves and music that is like yarn on your teeth, I hated it. African Jazz does nothing for me. And another heartfelt problematic hip hop piece, this time about alcohol abuse? No thanks. Give me something different please. And if there were other dances I don’t remember them, so they weren’t that good.

I must admit that I have all but lost my love for this show. I just don’t care anymore. I think it is being manipulated by the “story”. I also think it is the blatant favoritism by the judges, the deliberate pairings and the spot on “hat pick” of routines. The constant stroking the judges give some people and now the celebrity guest judges who are so afraid to be booed, that they tell everyone they were great. Of course it could be that I am older and growing up. Nah, it’s not that.

Rookie Blue
Thursdays, ABC

I like this show. I like it a lot. They sort of make you forget that they are in Canada. In any event, the show works. Sort of. I hate the whole Dov thing. I think I mentioned this before. Nothing good comes from going down this road. I always thought he was weak, but I think it even more now. There are a couple of characters I would wound in the line of duty and he is one of them. I don’t like him, I just don’t. And I don’t like his roommate Chris either. He is something that I haven’t figured out yet. I am not sure if he is too pretty, too dumb, too innocent or what. I peg him for the ultimate homophobe of the group. I think that he would be likened to Ross on Friends, but with Joey’s intelligence. (I have been watching a lot of Friends). Those two I could do without. I would rather have Peck than those two. I would of course die Peck’s hair and sandblast the red paint off her lips and maybe remove the stick that is embedded in her ass.

Um, did they skip an episode? Andy is now talking to her mom? Did I miss something? I just feel like there was a lot of resentment there that would have taken a couple of episodes to tear down. Oh well. I get both Andy’s anger with Sam’s “researching” her mother and his feeling the need to do it. He wants to protect her and she thinks he’s looking for bad stuff about her mom. Slippery slope kids.

The case was interesting. I felt for Oliver and was happy that it didn’t turn out bad because I like him, but seriously when is something bad going to happen? And when are they going to address Luke’s disappearance?

And why is Jerry being a douche? A hot douche, but douche nonetheless. Eh…I’ll just go with the flow.

Political Animals
Sundays, USA

This is not your typical USA programming. This is uber adult. There are no stupid gimmicky characters like on Psyche, Monk, Suits, White Collar, etc. This is all adult. I love Sigourney Weaver, she takes no shit and I love that. I can’t believe that guy was ever president. Seriously he seems like he stepped out of Mayberry, but a much more raunchy Mayberry. Elaine’s mother is a hoot and a half. I love her. And Thomas? Yeah, he is interesting. I don’t really understand why they didn’t give him more that a piano playing background though. I would have thought maybe a male model or something that would have had him have more presence than just a drinking and drug problem. And the other twin…can’t remember his name, but I don’t like him. He seems fake. I am sure that is all politics but I still remember him from being that swindler on that short lived Lonestar (or something) series on Fox. And what is up with his fiancé? How long before she is getting coke from TJ? Futterman! I think Carla Gugino is great too.
I must admit that at 9:05 I was wondering how long the episode was because I thought it was only and hour, but nope it was an hour and twenty four minutes. Most of that was uninterrupted, which is not a good thing when you are hungry and want to go make a sandwich. I survived though.

I can’t figure out where I know President Guido from though. I like him…oh wait is that Adrian Pasdar? Just checked IMDB and it is Adrian Pasdar. Why is his Veep such a bonehead?

I was afraid it was going to be too political for me to follow. I don’t like twitsy things that make me think to much, but this was good and I am a little sad it isn’t a regular series. Seems to me they could totally take Covert Affairs and flush that piece of dung town the toilet and give this a pickup.

Ah well I will enjoy it while I can.

Sorry I missed last week. It was kind of crazy. Or I was kind of lazy. Whichever one of those works for you, go with that. Some weeks we are preempted with life and laziness.

Next week I will try to include some photos.  I know that is always a treat.

Comments

Popular Posts