Pages

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Holiday Stash Down Challenge: Week 2


Let’s take a stroll through our yarn stash, to see if there are any suitable yarns in there for gift-giving. Don’t worry about matching these up to projects or people yet. Are there yarns you like enough to work with but are willing to part with as gift projects? If you don’t have a large (or suitable) stash, where do you think you will be doing your yarn shopping? Tell us all about the glorious yarns!


I didn't do my homework.  I don't have any photos to show you but I do have an answer of sorts to the prompt.

I have more than enough yarn to knit gifts for the next several years.  I have enough cotton to actually supply about 100 households with dishcloths for at least six months.  Yes, I have a lot of cotton. 

I have enough sock yarn to keep an average child in socks for two or three years.  I may be off on that since I do not know how hard the average child is on socks, nor how much yarn is needed for a pair of children's socks.  I don't knit socks.  I like buying the pretty colors though.  To put it another way, I could have an entire league of hockey playing monsters with sock or fingering weight yarn alone.

There is some sport/dk weight that just sort of sits there.  I never know quite what to make with it.  I can't even remember why I purchased most of it. 

See there was a time when I just purchased yarn to purchase it.  I didn't always have a project in mind.  I just liked it so I bought it and sometimes I didn't buy enough and sometimes I bought more than enough.  You just never know what you need when you don't know what you are going to knit.

There is some Cotton Ease.  I love that yarn.  I have a lot of it.  I don't know what to make out of it.  I had an idea for a blanket, a wrap, a bag, baby stuff...but it sits there.  I finally used some for some cloths and they felt great and had nice drape, but I don't really know how useful they are since I sent them off to various swap partners.

I have some misguided acrylic that I bought when I had to be in a drunken stupor.  Except that I don't drink much and if I were to be drunk, I doubt the craft store would be open.  Still it sits there mocking me.

I have yarn in all sorts of hidey spots.  Ottoman, drawers, bags, bins, if it closes and I am trying to clean up yarn, it will go in. 

Point of the story is that I should have no problem knitting from stash.  If I can do it, I hope to not purchase yarn for the remainder of the year.  But, Knit Picks just came out with new colors, those bastards.  I have had my catalog for a couple of weeks and have had the hardest time not tearing into it.  It is like a 13 year old boy trying to not break the black plastic on a Playboy.  It is hard!  But I am remaining strong.

It would have to be something pretty special for someone really pretty special for me to go buy yarn at this point.  I am trying to get my budget under control and fifty dollars here and there (because you have to get the free shipping) does not help!

So, there you have it.  Now visit Underground Crafter for the Holiday Stashdown Challenge and see what everyone else is up to!


No comments: