Stanley Cup Playoffs - Day 1

I can't believe I could miss hockey so much over just two days.  I agonized and lamented on what I would do once mid June hits and I have to wait until October.  Perhaps it was knowing that it wasn't over that had me anxious and unsure what to do with myself.  Perhaps it is the sheer excitement of seeing your team hoist the Cup high above their heads.  It's Playoff hockey and there really is nothing like it.  I started preparing for tonight days ago.  I read through my Playoff pattern numerous times, made up a quick reference for it and in my ultimate geekiness, comb bound it last night.
Here is my project: The Clapotis pattern using my Draygone Yarn in the Pittsburgh Penguins colorway (of course) and my NHL Penguins jersey purse that I got for Christmas a couple of years ago.  Perfect
 I set up my viewing area.  You can see my small jersey bag that hangs there to hold things like my phone, lip stuff, goodies.  My sweatshirt blanket (which I had to use as a cover tonight because it is cold and like the Consol Energy Center in Pittsburgh, a whiteout! Yes it is snowing as I type (Spring in Montana)).  Also, Iceburgh made a brief appearance.  We had some issues earlier in the year (January/February) and he was placed into some sort of semi-permanent penalty box for his bad vibes.  He was able to come out just a few weeks ago and last night ventured to prime viewing area.  When the second period ended in a 0-0 tie and it looked like the next goal would win, he exiled himself back to his upper perch.  It all ended well so we have agreed that for now he will stay there on Penguin game days.

I thought I would knock this project out of the park during games.  I might, but probably not during Penguin games because once I put it away during the third and focused all my attention on the team, they scored...twice in 18 seconds and then added a third nail-in-coffin goal at the end.  So, it seems as though this will be knit during all games but Pittsburgh!  I can't be the reason they lose because I am so into knitting through the back loop and wondering when the striping will end and the weird pooling will begin.  Must concentrate fully.  This is what I was able to get done in two periods (no knitting during intermission - situps and twitter).

It is almost big enough for Barbie.  I am interested to see how this starts taking shape into its rectangular form.  I am not even through the first increase section repeat (long way to go).

And this photo is a craptacular shot I took in the fading daylight off of my television.  It is blurry, but when I look at it, I think it is cool...so here is Aaron Asham after he scored 18 seconds after Alex Kovalev to put the Pens up 2-0.

Next up tonight is the remainder of the Rangers/Capitals game and the Vancouver/Chicago game.  Go Rangers, Go Canucks (I am still upset that Chicago is in the playoffs and not Dallas).

In other hockey news, I was nearly knocked over by a feather when I read that Marc Crawford was canned.  I didn't even remember that Dallas didn't make the post-season last year.  At least for him, there are currently four other teams looking for a coach (and I wouldn't be surprised to see a few more coming down the line).  I have never much cared for Crawford, even when he was with Colorado.  I don't much care for Quenville or Sacco either.  I think the only Colorado coach I liked was Hartley.  Eh...doesn't much matter. 

I figure all the haters will be out in full force tomorrow bitching about a couple of non/missed calls in tonights Pens/Lightning game.  I am not going to lie, there are a few that were missed, but I lay that solely on the referees.  Playoff hockey is a crazy atmosphere and early in the game, they called every little thing, then a few things were missed and the refs loosened up a bit.  I thought there was some good pressure on the PP for the Pens tonight, they just could not convert.  PK was strong, but then it has been all year.  For me, the goal of the night was Aaron Asham's.  I kind of thought that Mike Rupp would get one, the way he has blown up the last week of the regular season, but never Asham.  It was some good hard work and just not giving up.  Great win, they need to keep their focus and the momentum, stay away from stupid penalties (because they are going to be more aware on Friday. And by they I mean the refs, they will take some shit for tonight) and just go out there and play their game!

Comments

Popular Posts