Holiday Hindsight

I wonder why, with hindsight, every year we let ourselves become overrun and overwhelmed during the holiday season? I was thinking about it last night, every year I feel stressed and just like everything is going to collapse and how next year it will be different. But it isn’t. I am still stressed about finding the right present, having enough presents, having grand presents, making something special for those people that can appreciate a handmade item. I always feel that I should be baking grand, decadent treats and I don’t like to bake, so then it feels like it is a form of torture to have to do that. The fact that no matter what I do, I can’t keep a room clean for more than 20 minutes because I always have bags of stuff lying around waiting to be wrapped.


I used to love to wrap presents and now I just don’t want to take the time to get everything out and then put it all away. To say nothing of the fact that I suffer from gauge retardation. I either feel the item is fifty feed wide or three inches small and I cut the paper wrong almost every time. Then I am sitting there wondering if it is okay to have part of the bottom of the box showing and debating that it is the bottom, but always resigning myself to the fact that that is not proper wrapping etiquette. I no longer do bows and very seldom do ribbon. I would love to wrap everything in a gift bag for two reasons, it is so much easier and they are reusable. We are also on a gift wrapping diet, meaning that we are not buying new gift wrap until this old stuff that we have been collecting for the last five years is used up. I love how some of the most beautiful wrap they have like 5 feet of, yet the plain old gold roll has about 500 feet of wrap and appears to multiply like rabbits. Long gone are any matching ribbons and bows and any bows that we do have have been smashed and flattened and there is no breathing life back into them. Tags we have a plenty as well…sort of. We have tags, but some of them are a little too…gaudy for my tastes, so I use those for people who appreciate the tackier things in life.

Tis the season to start thinking about starting fresh. I think every year I decide that I am going to do better organizationally and budgetally as well. I have been preparing my bill book and various budgeting spreadsheets (because if you are not going to keep up one, you may as well not keep up five or six). I try to plan my days down to the very last moment before bed. I never schedule time for feeling icky sicky or time for when a book is really good. I don’t schedule time for when I have to cast on six different times because I screw up the fifth row of a lace pattern or when I am sure I counted correctly and then at the end, I don’t have two stitches to k2tog. I don’t plan for those nights when work was pure hell and all I really want to do is stare aimlessly at the television, or even those nights where I become so involved in a hockey game that I have to rant my opinion to everyone.

I have been trying for the last few months to budget my money, but again I suffer from a disease known as Spontaneously Purchasing. It is quite debilitating to my bank account and often leaves me stressing even more over trying to find money to cover foolishly purchasing a load of Christmas tunes on iTunes that I listen to for all of three days before I want to rip my hair out. I don’t start my gift crafting early enough, even though every year I swear that August is early enough even if I take a three month break! And now I have Nook and so I think I need to buy books and then I look at my credit card statement and think really? I bought five ten dollar books? They are collecting cyber dust on my shelves. I have to charge my Nook from lack of use, not from overuse. But it is always that way this time of year. I just can’t seem to find the time to do that kind of stuff.

But I have a plan for the new year and this time it is going to stick. Yes, I said that last year, but this year I really mean it. Who are we kidding? I have made it my life’s mission to procrastinate as much as possible, when if I just did it when I thought of it, I would be a much happier person. This is the year. I can feel it.

I can also feel that I have let this blog go long enough without some regular updates. So I have a plan for that as well. I am a total list keeper and I am going to come up with a list of days to blog and maybe even some different topics. It will be fun, just you wait and see.

I have no pictures today. I have some, they just are not with me on my flash drive. I will get to them later…as always.

In case I don’t make it back, have a very happy holiday season, whatever you celebrate, make the most of it and of your loved ones. This has been a whirlwind, yet somewhat magical season in our house this year and I wish that for everyone.

Comments

Heather said…
A lot of pressure is put on to make the 'perfect' Christmas. arg. It also drives me nuts. I'll be busy, busy, busy and the rest of the household will be playing game, watching movies, or taking an extra nap and me, I'll juggling several dishes, baking 3 things at once, wrapping gifts, etc. And then we go and do it all again the next year. We must be nuts.
Mysti Holiday said…
I hate wrapping, too -- though I used to enjoy it. Wonder why that happens?

Conveniently, I have a tween daughter who loves to wrap, so she does it all!

Hope you have a wonderful holiday.

Popular Posts