RR: The Apprentice

The Blurb


Boston detective Jane Rizzoli hasn't completely recovered from the near-death experience at the hands of a serial killer (The Surgeon) that left her scarred and scared, but that doesn't keep her from going after a copycat murderer whose modus operandi is disturbingly familiar. Warren Hoyt may still be behind bars, but Jane thinks there's a connection between him and the man the police call the Dominator, based on the way this new fiend subdues and violates his victims before he kills them. Political interference from an FBI agent who seems to know more about the Dominator than anyone else only intensifies Jane's determination to solve the case. When Hoyt escapes from prison and teams up with his blood brother to take revenge on the policewoman who put him there, the pace of this truly frightening thriller picks up and drives the narrative to its violent conclusion

My Review

I was excited to jump into this second Rizzoli & Isles book. But, it took a lot of pushing to get me through it. I never really felt that pull to get me hooked. If it wasn’t for the premier of TnT’s Rizzoli & Isles looming near, I would have set this aside and picked up something else. The author, Tess Gerritsen, has a tendency to “lecture” the reader with, what I would call really useless information that does nothing to drive the story. In The Surgeon, she endlessly displayed her medical knowledge by long, in depth depictions of surgeries that had nothing to do with the story at hand, nor any “b” story. In The Apprentice, she takes us on the most boring forensic lectures. First the Alternative Light Source lecture and later hair and fiber lectures. These lectures were disguised as dialogue between forensic techs and the detectives. It was like reading a criminalistics text book (which I have done!). Finally when that was exhausted, she found her way with some meaty, story related dialogue and descriptions. As in The Surgeon, she has a way of using the Warren Hoyt character to deliver some history lessons, that again, seem to neither interest or further along the storyline.

We are introduced to Dr. Maura Isles in this book, but unfortunately we are given a general overview of her character and not really “introduced” to her. The interaction between she and Rizzoli is minimal.

A few things that I was expecting from this book that Gerritsen didn’t deliver was the closure from Rizzoli’s shooting of a suspect in The Surgeon. I also was looking for Thomas Moore to reappear, and while he did, it was brief and unrewarding. A driving force in the last book was the way that Rizzoli’s collegues treated her and in this book, while she is still driven to prove herself, the “mistreatment” was not there and was not explained away. Does Detective Crowe respect her more after The Surgeon? Or is he still an ass? We don’t know, it is never discussed. I was surprised to see less of the behavioralist in this book as they were dealing with another obviously disturbed individual.

I hope that future Rizzoli & Isles books, trend away from this serial killer mode and that we see some more of the personal lives of the characters. At this point I don’t feel that I really know anything about Jane Rizzoli other than she wears bad suits and tries to be a ball buster. I know a little more about her family after this book, but still nothing about the real her. And I know next to nothing about Dr. Maura Isles.

I won’t be picking up the next book anytime soon, but I will give Gerritsen another chance or two (only because I already have the books).

Rating: 2.75 out of 5 bookmarks

Recommend: Fiction readers, police procedurals, csi groupies, gluttons for punishment

Comments

Popular Posts