RR: The Surgeon

I should preface this with saying that I am not good at book reviews.  I have searched for some templates/formats but I have found nothing that isn't for a book report.  I don't want to talk too much about the book because if you haven't read it you might hate me and then you will stop visiting my world.  So, with that, here is my sucky review of Tess Gerritsen's, The Surgeon

BLURB


He slips into their homes at night and walks silently into bedrooms where women lie sleeping, unaware of the horrors they soon will endure. The precision of the killer’s methods suggests he is a deranged man of medicine, propelling the Boston newspapers and the frightened public to name him “The Surgeon.”

The cops’ only clue rests with another surgeon, the victim of a nearly identical crime. Two years ago, Dr. Catherine Cordell fought back and killed her attacker before he could complete his assault. Now she hides her fears of intimacy behind a cool and elegant exterior and well-earned reputation as a top trauma surgeon.

Cordell’s careful façade is about to crack as this new killer re-creates, with chilling accuracy, the details of Cordell’s own ordeal. With every new murder he seems to be taunting her, cutting ever closer, from her hospital to her home. Her only comfort comes from Thomas Moore, the detective assigned to the case. But even Moore cannot protect Cordell from a brilliant hunter who somehow understands-and savors-the secret fears of every woman he kills.

Filled with the authentic detail that is the trademark of this doctor turned author, and peopled with rich and complex characters-from the ER to the squad room to the city morgue-here is a thriller of unprecedented depth and suspense. Exposing the shocking link between those who kill and cure, punish and protect, The Surgeon is Tess Gerritsen’s most exciting accomplishment yet.

LdyPngn’s Review

I used to fantasize about being a writer. About writing that great American novel that would propel me to the Best Seller List. So in preparation for that, I read several “how to” books. One of the first things I learned was that you were never supposed to detail violence towards children, animals or women. I don’t know that many authors read that book.  I'm pretty sure Tess Gerritsen didn't.

Tess Gerritsen takes you on a grisly journey of depravity. The Surgeon is not for the faint of heart!

I read this book at this time because of the TnT show Rizzoli & Isles, two of Tess Gerritsen’s main characters, although Isles doesn’t appear in The Surgeon. I am glad that I read it and even though I know that Anige Harmon is going to be portraying Jane Rizzoli, I did not “see” her as I read the book. I actually saw Sasha Alexander (with her dark hair circa NCIS), the actress who is going to play Maura Isles was I read the book. I can’t explain why I saw this flip, but I did.

This book had me wanting more. Well more dialogue and more action, more Rizzoli. It also had me wanting less. Less medical talk! It is sort of like an episode of ER mashed with an episode of NYPD Blue. Yeah I went old school there. While I appreciate Gerritsen’s medical background and fully acknowledge her knowledge, I could have done with less of that.

Like a lot of authors, this book was big on detail and a little low on dialogue. That usually changes as authors become more familiar with their characters and I hope that happens as I ordered the next three books in this series.

The detail of the crime, the mutilation, the horror these women must have lived through was gritty and a bit unnerving, but just made this book so much better than if it would have been glossed over. I love the gritty detail. The juicy adjectives placed in just the right spots.

It was a thrill ride. I was looking for a little more closure to the Rizzoli/Pacheco incident. I wonder if it was victim to the editing process. I guess I will just have to wait for the next book to find out what happened.

Rating: 3.75 out of 5
Recommendation: Fiction readers, murder mystery, detective/police procedural, medical thriller, strong women, behavioralists

Comments

Heather said…
I enjoyed your review. Don't think I'll get the book at this time though.

Popular Posts