I'll Take Surviving, Knitting and Reading for $200 Alex

Well I survived a bout with The Plague. Actually, I am still suffering a bit, but at least I feel human again. Just a lingering tickle in my throat and some stuffiness, which could be allergies being that the weather is what most people call Spring-like. I say most people, because in my area of Montana, we rarely have anything that resembles Spring. Perhaps a day or two here and there, but nothing that lingers for three or four months. I must say we have had pretty much fall weather since October, a few snow showers, but nothing lasting. I imagine it is due to hit somewhere around March 31st, as I know believe I will be getting some fabulous sandals for my birthday.


Speaking of birthdays, mine especially, I have no idea what to get people this year. I have my Aunt’s birthday coming up in less than a month and no idea what I could get her. She is one of those women who is relatively simple, and just hard to buy for. Perhaps a nice spring outfit for the upcoming winter. Eh…I have a little time I guess. Then in less than two months is my sister and nephews’ birthdays. Again…no clue what to get them. Of course my sister will help me out with what to get the boys, but I do have to worry about what to get her. And then Mother’s Day and Mom’s birthday to worry about. The pressure!

I am under no knitting pressure however. I have decided to stop knitting under pressure. I am taking it slow and just doing what I want to do. Of course I am trying to figure out what I can make people that won’t drive me absolutely crazy. I finished up two projects over the weekend and then Monday night started on another little project. I didn’t really get much knitting done yesterday, although I had plenty of time. I got off early to go and party for St. Patrick’s Day. No lie, my boss let us go home early to enjoy the “holiday”. I avoided party central like it was a relative I didn’t want to see. I read a little, knit a little, tried to nap a little. Then I spent the entire evening on the computer. I downloaded podcasts and synced my iPod. I cleaned up my email and read all my subscriptions. I searched for new projects and updated Facebook. It was a good evening. I always really enjoy my bedroom once I move it around and it is clean. I like to spend a lot of time in there. Plus, there was nothing really on television to watch. So what else is a girl to do.

I guess I should mention that I tried to watch the Pittsburgh/New Jersey game and was just horrified by the Pens performance. It was awful. I had to turn if off before I stabbed myself with a needle to put me out of my misery. Here’s hoping that tonight’s game against Boston goes better. It should be an interesting one at least. I wasn’t going to comment on the Cooke on Savard hit, but really how can one avoid it? It was not a clean hit and Cooke deserved a suspension. At first I was super defensive because isn’t everyone when it is a member of their team? But, really when you watch it, it is a bad hit and then when you take into account all of the other Cooke plays out there, yeah. I do understand why Campbell didn’t suspend him though, when you take into account the Mike Richards non-suspension. Then fast forward to Sunday and Ovechkin getting a game misconduct and a two game suspension for something that I thought was relatively a clean hit, even though Soupy didn’t have the puck. I was happy, don’t get me wrong (as I really dislike Ovechkin), but surprised nonetheless. I think everyone is just so afraid right now that the referees are calling everything and the players don’t know what to do. A definite ruling needs to come down and the sooner the better. I just want hockey to get back to normal, whatever normal is.

So back to my life. I started crocheting the Masa bag. I am sure that I am doing it entirely wrong as I chained 48 and do not actually have 48 stitches. But, when I worked a few rows (that look beautiful by the way) and measured it, it is measuring wider than the goal of 23cm. Which is around 9 inches. But it’s a bag so a little wider isn’t going to matter right? The problem is I don’t really know how to work into a chain. I can chain and I can work into some of the stitches, but the problem I have is that I don’t know which chain is next and which I have already worked into. For some reason they are so close together that I just have that problem. I need some guidance (hint hint sister…be ready to teach when you get here in a few weeks). I also want to learn how to work in the round because I have a hat book that has some really ugly cute hats I want to try out, plus I want to make cute amigurumi creatures. Anyway, I am trying to decide if I should keep working on the bag or if I should just hold off and see what my super smart and expert sister says. I don’t want to cut the yarn and switch to a different color if I am really all fudded up on the project. I do have my stitches down though. I rock the double crochet.

This time change was supposed to make my work day go by faster and it has not done that. The days still remain 8 hours long. I thought the afternoons would fly by, but instead they continue at a slow crawl. The only thing that has changed is that I am unable to go to bed before 11:00 p.m. Not that that is a bad thing because now I am finding the time to do some reading.

On the subject of reading. I am currently reading Free Range Knitter: The Yarn Harlot Writes Again by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee and the last book I finished (way back in January) was Because I Said So by Dawn Meehan. In both books I have found a section or sections that have really turned me off. In Dawn Meehan’s book it was the constant reminder that she has six children and that she has so much work to do at home. In Stephanie Pearl-McPhee’s book it was a section on how people look down upon her as a knitter and how there is not much attention paid to knitting, and about how people think it is for old ladies and dim witted people. There was also a blurb about Canadian winters that rubbed me wrong (I find Canadian’s, Alaskan’s, etc constantly complaining about their winters. Well Montana and Wyoming have tough winters too and I don’t even remember having Spring last year. Grass in my area didn’t turn green until late June, so they can stick that in their crack pipes and smoke it!). I am glad that section of the book is past so that I can enjoy the rest of it. The first book Stephanie wrote was so much fun to read. It had all the cute little anecdotes about knitting and different projects, so I had thought the second book would be more like that, but it is just a bit different. There is more writing about other things, some philosophical, some motherly related. It is good all the same, I am more than half way through after just a few days, but still not as good as the first book (Yarn Harlot: The Secret Life of a Knitter). I also have Knitting Rules and Casts Off and Things I Learned from Knitting by Stephanie to read also.

I also have started Horns by Joe Hill, of which I am just scratching the surface, but so far has intrigued me. I was a little put off by one scene, but that is excusable. I still have the Leadership & Self Deception book on my nightstand and occasionally wipe the dust away. All in due time. I am thinking that once I am done with Free Range, I will start the Maggie Sefton series. I am in the mood for something quick and light and knitting related.

It appears as though regularly scheduled television programming returned for just a couple of weeks and now we are on hiatus again for the March Madness Basketball. Ugh. I do not like basketball at all. This leaves me with quite the quandary on what to watch as I don’t have any shows recorded on DVR to get me through the lull and the weekend. I am thinking that I might pop in season one of Buffy The Vampire Slayer, but there is also the first three seasons of 24 I have not seen. Is anyone still watching the current season of 24? It has been so boring. Did they use all their OMG moments last year with Tony? I am really disappointed. I do not like the new CTU. I can’t stand that wimpy Arlo and the awful CTU director. Then there is the debacle that is Dana Walsh. What a horrible character and the acting is really bad. And then Freddie Prinze Jr. trying to drop a New York accent here and there isn’t really working for me. I thought last week that Jack could have run a little faster and caught that kid before he got to the hyperbaric chamber. I guess though, then that would have taken away an explosion in a season where explosions are needed to keep things interesting. Not a lot of action. I can understand why Fox might be ready to cut them loose. I just can’t imagine this show on NBC. I don’t know that it would work as well as it does on Fox. Maybe I will get the chance to find out. It can’t be much worse than Bionic Woman was.

Well that is really all the time I have. Okay, I have more time, but I am really reaching for things to discuss, so I will leave it at that.

Comments

Popular Posts