I could have been an Olympian

You really have to love someone who just names their pattern “Hat”. Nothing like, Sycamore or Pine Nut, just Hat. That made me smile in a month where there hasn’t been a lot of smiles.


I have been in a serious funk this month and I don’t know what to attribute it to. Perhaps it is cabin fever, except I prefer to stay in the “cabin” most of the time. It is not really money woos as I have spent some money and am not super woeful about it. I have been taking my medications. I just don’t know what it is, but I am trying damn hard to shrug it off in the next few days.

As a result of my Ravelympic dropout, I have made some decisions. First, I am not knitting out of pressure and commitment anymore. I am knitting what I want to knit, when I want to knit it. I have binders full of patterns that I thought were great and that I would knit up…eventually. Well eventually never came and so I am culling the books. I am throwing out scads of patterns that I will never ever knit. I have been storing these things for two years now and let me tell you that I must have been on some sort of mind trip two years ago. Some of the things I saved are super ugly. I think it shows how we evolve as crafters and how are tastes change as we take on new challenges. Tonight I plan on sitting down with my dishcloth binder and only plan on saving the ones I love (Circle Cloth, Clover Tweed (to name a few)) and getting rid of the ones that make me cringe (Ballband, swiffer covers). I don’t really enjoy knitting picture cloths. There are a few I want to save, but for the most part anything with a picture or with a lot of lacey holes is out. I need the space for other patterns and stuff.

I have been thinking a lot about challenges too. As some of you might know, I have a huge desire to knit the Sipalu bag. I am waiting to order the yarn for when it is ALL available. I used to be just in need of the teal, but now other colors are on the wait list. Boo. But anyways, looking for challenges. During my short Ravelympic career I took on the challenge of knitting two at a time on two circulars and it went fabulously. I really enjoyed it and after that first row or two it was pretty easy and there was never any yarn crossovers! But I was ready for a bigger challenge, so I knit up my first sweater…a little ornament sweater. The challenge for me was the sleeve attachment, but it was SO easy! I should have done it a long time ago! Then I took on some duplicate stitching, which I enjoy but am not totally in love with my final product. So now, I am looking to do something even more challenging like the Sipalu bag. Something that will make me pay attention and be grand. I also love the Palette yarn. In the mean time I am trying different little projects to keep me busy.

Last night I cast on the little Skull Jumper, going down in needle size and not doing the skull pattern and adjusting the pattern to make it more of a baby doll. If all goes as planned, I will have this cute little baby doll jumper top for a newborn and then I can pick out the right colors and knit it up as written with the skull pattern. The original pattern is sized 6 months to 1 year and I need something a wee bit smaller, so thus the smaller needle sizes and the shortened length. I am trying to use up some ill purchased acrylic yarn. This would be a good time to mention that I do not have a Local Yarn Store (LYS). We have a small Jo-Ann’s and Wal*Mart, neither of which stocks anything of great luxury and value. But Jo-Ann’s does pull out some great sales on Vanna yarns. I purchased some thinking it was better than Red Heart, but really it is just softer. So that explains my whole stash of acrylic.

I am hoping to get over to Missoula on Saturday and hit Loopy their relatively new LYS. It sounds like they have just what I may be looking for in the way of quality yarn and I also want to hit Michael’s because I love Cotton Ease and I would like to pick up some more of it. Of course funding is always a little tight now that I have a car payment, but with some careful budgeting and a little restraint, I think all will be okay.

I can’t believe that in just about a month I will be turning 34 years old. Seriously where did the last four years go? I was so happy to turn 30, I felt like I was finally becoming an adult and then something weird happened and some sort of internal clock started to tick and I realized that I was not so happy about being a real adult anymore. I started thinking about all the things I would like to go back and change. I keep wondering if I am going to wake up at age seventeen and realize I have the time to change my destiny. I fear that is not going to happen and then I fear that it might. You know when they asked you, “Where do you think you will be in fifteen years?” I could never really see that far ahead, but I surely didn’t think I would have traveled the road I did. Such plans are made every year to make changes in my life. 31 will be my year. 32 will be the year I lose the weight. 33 will be the year for me. I think by the time 35 rolls around I will still be doing the same thing and still be wearing the same clothes. I don’t know that there will ever be a “My Year” for me.

That was kind of depressing. Holy Hell, I better get the fun back in this post. So I have been watching all and I mean ALL of the Olympics and I must say that I cannot wait for my regularly scheduled programming to return! I realize why the Winter Olympics are every four years! Last night I watched snow falling on a mountain women’s downhill, it was riveting. Then I laid down on the couch and watched the Finland/Czech men’s hockey game and fell asleep. I woke up to Jeremy Roenick wearing a pink shirt agreeing with Mike Milbury. It was surreal. I read the live blogs to know what is going on. I stayed up until after 11:30 to watch men’s figure skating a week ago! I know what twizzles are and have become quite adept at grading them. But you know what I don’t know? I don’t know what happened to Jack Bauer this week because I was afraid I might miss something on the Olympics! How jacked up is that?!? This has to end. I have to stop seeing Tanith Belbin and Lindsay Vonn in my dreams. I can’t stand to see anymore red maple leafs and painted skin. I need to get back to discussing what happened on The Vampire Diaries (that Damon is a hottie H-O-T!)

I must say I am quite surprised that there are not more fatties in Curling. It seems to me like that would be the perfect sport for the lard asses out there. I mean I think I could totally handle that. It doesn’t appear that you become winded or exert to much energy. Uniforms are not painted on. You don’t have to run, just shuffle your feet along the ice and try as I might, I have not found one person yet who has fallen. It takes forever and three days to play one game and the time intervals between whose turn it is seems like it would be conducive to catching a quick nap or a few episodes of Grey’s Anatomy. I wish I would have realized this sooner and perhaps my sister wouldn’t have been the only athlete in the family. Hindsight and all that.

Well that is really all I have. I have updated Knitting Knotebook with my fabulous first sweater and with any luck maybe something in the next few weeks will pop up.

Comments

Heather said…
I"m with you here, do what you love. I think you are still down because you broke your beautiful needle a few weeks back.

i knit a whole bunch of scarves in the past 2 years and I am so done with that now. Ok, 1 more to go and then onto afghans, but only 2 of them.
as for the faces painted red with maple leafs, that really doesn't go away once the Olympics end, they just get smaller, like temporary tattoos on the checks etc.

Popular Posts